Nutrition On the Road

As I briefly mentioned in a previous post, nutrition is something I need to be more mindful of during training sessions.  On more than one occasion, I've run out of energy to keep going due to lack of proper nutrition.  Each person is different, and I know what works for me: GU Sports Energy Gel.   It's quite tasty, and very thick and gooey. 

The instructions tell you to take it with water (a very good idea) and approximately every 45 minutes of training which allows it about 15 minutes to kick in.  Following those instructions, one packet of gu got me through a two-hour ride with ease, no bonking! 

The goo-based substances seem to work better for me than the solid foods.  I've read solid foods take longer to enter your bloodstream, and therefore takes longer to get you the energy it packs.  There's a lot of choices for on-the-road nutrition, and this is my go-to choice.

For the Alcatraz Challenge, I'll likely start the day with one prior to the swim and have another at the transition (prior to the run)... along with an Advil or two.


0 comments :: Nutrition On the Road

Post a Comment