Aero! So many wants...

With 112 miles to ride on the bike, I need all the help and every advantage I can get.  I've read there are three pieces of hardware to get that would make the biggest difference: (1) Carbon wheels, (2) Aero helmet, and (3) Aero bars.  I'm told a proper tri-suit can also help tremendously with aero, although I haven't actually read any articles stating that.  Then there's plenty of other smaller items that you can get too: carbon shoes, carbon pedals, and really anything else that is made in carbon.

Carbon wheels are the most expensive of the bunch.  An entry-level aero helmet runs just north of $100, and an entry-level aero bar runs just under $100.  You can get all fancy with carbon and whatnot, but a few grams of weight probably aren't worth an extra $100 or more to me at this point.

My current set-up

I already have aero bars, and I cannot tell you how awesome they are, especially for long rides.  You aren't supposed to use them for group rides since you can't reach your brakes, but if you are leading the pack, then get low and get aero!  I've read you gain 2-3 mph in the aero position.  The only drawback is the amount of handlebar space they take up - precious space taken away from trip computers, headlights and things of that nature.  But the benefits outweigh all of that!

The bars I currently use is fine and is sturdy.  I even hit the top end against a garage door once and other than a little bit of paint chipping off, it help up perfectly.  Lots of miles have been logged on them now.  But you know me, I love new toys.  So in the queue is a new aero bar.  

I previously borrowed and rode a friend's bike that had a very similar design to the Profile Design Air Stryke.  The main benefits I see are: (1) flip up arm rests and (2) one-piece aero bar is connected at the top end.  Perhaps the shape of this bar might be more comfortable for the wrists as well? 

Profile Design Air Stryke

The flip up arm rests allow you to use the top of your handle bars when you are not in the aero position (allowing you to ride sitting nearly upright).  That is usually my easy-pedaling, catch-my-breath position.  At this time, I just hold onto my arm rests. Not very ideal, especially since my arm rests sometimes swivel around.

The one-piece design is helpful because I don't really have space for my Garmin on my handlebar, and it is too difficult to try reading the Garmin while it's on my wrist.  I want to try setting up the Garmin at the end of the handlebar.  But will it be too distracting being so close to my line-of-sight?  I do love the using the data to help gauge the intensity of my work-outs, but I also don't want to be looking down at it too much.

Upon further reading, the Air Stryke's design is apparently made for recreational riders, with a more upright "comfortable" position.  Not something I'm looking for.  But I also like the Profile Design Jammer GT
 
Profile Design Jammer GT

With more of a curature and complete adjustability for length and angle, this seems to be the way to go.  It certainly looks like it would be more comfortable than my current set-up.

No place to set up the Garmin and no flip-up arm rests, but those are probably minor issues that won't even affect me when I'm riding along 112 miles. I think?










               

1 comments :: Aero! So many wants...

  1. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Post a Comment