After Week Three

This week saw a decrease in cycling and running mileage compared against last week, and a big increase in swimming.  All told, the aggregate amount of time spent training actually decreased, but it has felt like there was an increase in training time.  I am chalking it up to the body getting tired.  But I am told Week Four is Recovery Week, so I am more than happy about that!

This week was also the first brick workout scheduled - a swim/run done on Saturday.  Since next weekend is the Alcatraz Challenge, this swim/run brick made a lot of sense to run through.  Recovery Week will blend right into tapering for the Challenge as well, so the timing works out really well.

There is no "break-through" like last week's faster run time, but based non-scientifically on how I feel, although my muscles are feeling a little more tired, my cardiovascular system seemed less taxed during training.  This is good news, because it means I can do more than what I am doing now, I just need my muscles to catch up!

New favorite route
Sunday I did a two hour ride, and I'm happy to report I finally found a route I really like, and that can be lengthened as needed.  The route is pretty straightforward:  Start at the Rose Bowl, where a relatively flat loop or two can be done for a warm up. Then head north up Arroyo Blvd, where the constant hill climb begins.  We were supposed to head west on Oak Grove, but missed the sign and continued on Arroyo until the street hooked right and I realized something was wong.  Luckily I bring my phone on rides and was able to cosnult with the map.  So we turned around and went the correct way, west on Oak Grove until we get to Foothill, then north on Foothill for as long as we want.  Most of Foothill is bicycle friendly, although at one point we almost got run over by an old man not paying attention as he turned right in front of us into a parking lot.  I wanted to rage.  The ride back was easy, all downhill.  More attention was paid to nutrition and I am consciously trying to be better at doing that during my training in general.  At the 45 minute mark, we took a break for Gu, which I find to be very helpful.  It was timed just perfectly and gave us the energy to make it through the rest of the session.  At the end of the ride we finish at the Rose Bowl again, where another loop or two can be done as a cool down.  It's a great route and I'm definitely heading back for more.  
Nice gradual climb and an easy ride home!

Hooray, upcoming recovery week!

Week Three totals:
Bike: 25.22 miles + 45 min on the trainer
Run: 13.86 miles
Swim: 5000 meters

Total Time: 9:07

0 comments :: After Week Three

Post a Comment