Ironman Arizona: The Best Part [Part 2]

Pre-race Sherpa facebook posts are here.  And now we continue with her posts during the race!


Beginning of the swim.  At this point, I've been in the water for 15 minutes already, waiting for the cannon to signal the start of Ironman Arizona.  She's posted up by the swim finish, camera in hand and ready to cheer me on.  And yes, I agree.  She's the best Sherpa ever.

My first Sherpa sighting!

As I get through transition and on the bike, she knows she's got a bit of downtime while I go about making my first loop on the bike course.  She later tells me she noticed my first bike split was rather slow and was a bit worried.  What she didn't know at the time was my fight with the street sign and my flat, both of which are reflected in my slow first bike split.


She's got her timing down, estimating when I would pass through our pre-arranged cheering spot. 

Off to the run!  Two thumbs up on the outside, but my knee was already hurting by this point.  Didn't want to show the pain though.  Guess I covered it up pretty well.

Figure-eight course allowed for lots of places to see Sherpa.  Which meant I knew at those points I needed to look strong and as if nothing was bothering me!  I can tell my coach my knee hurts but Sherpa, I don't want to worry her with such things.  It's already been a long day, and I'm glad she's having fun.
 
Always thinking ahead!  What would I do without her?


Mile 23, I remember you.  At that point, I was telling myself "all you need to do is a 5k run. You've done plenty. You do one (and more) nearly every morning. This is nothing. Let's get 'er done."  And all through this, Sherpa is still running around like a maniac.  Some say I'm crazy for doing an Ironman. I say she's crazy for putting up with me doing an Ironman.

Done! Sherpa was right at the finish line.  I didn't see her, but I heard her yelling and screaming. :)
I did find her a little later as a volunteer led me a few steps away from the finish line (so others can have their moment too).

Even I thought the kiss was salty. :p
  What a day.  As much as I accomplished that day, Sherpa was obviously one busy girl all day too!

Many thanks to Sherpa for all of her support, time, effort and sacrifices.  Many thanks to all of my (and her) friends who commented and liked the posts and otherwise showed endless support on our successful Ironman endeavor!









0 comments :: Ironman Arizona: The Best Part [Part 2]

Post a Comment