Ironman Arizona: The Best Part [Part 1]

It's been just over two weeks since I finished Ironman Arizona.  I've had a chance to blog about the experience a bit, talk with a number of people, both who have done Ironman event in the past and family and friends who wanted to know more about my experience.  I also had some time to reflect on the experience - and it was definitely a good experience.

Among the most frequently asked question is "What was the best part?"

Many times the question is asked with the qualifier, "not counting the finish..."  But I don't even think the finish was the best part.  Maybe second best.  Crossing the finish line, rather than a sense of accomplishing a once-in-a-lifetime achievement and feeling on top of the world, I felt more relief.  Relief the race was over, that I did (and can tell people that I did) what I had set out to do.  It was relief that the time, energy, effort, money, and sacrifices was for something.

But the best part?  The best part was walking back to the hotel room after everything was done and having Iron Sherpa tell me about her day.  Running around like a maniac (my words, not hers) to make sure she saw me as often as possible and live facebook-blogging my entire race.  Then getting to the hotel room and her telling me to get on the computer and take a look at all the facebook activity that occurred through the day.

That was the best part of the day.  Take a look.  Below each of Iron Sherpa's facebook post includes a link to my corresponding blog post.  Kinda neat to get insider her head too.

Arrival in Tempe.  So many friends cheering me on from afar!

Thursday before IMAZ.  Biggest decision of the weekend... strip club or zoo?

Friday night before IMAZ, the energy and electricity of Ironman is enveloping us.

Ironman's Eve.  Is she just too cute or what?!  And it's true, I really did/do
appreciate hearing from and seeing posts from so many friends.


Still Ironman's Eve.  This is the post that was visible to me. Sneaky girl, that one!


Our super-early morning, day of Ironman Arizona.  I think she posted this up when I went off to
get body markings.  Not sure which one of the two of us was more nervous about the race...
 Next up... Iron Sherpa's facebook posts during the actual race.















0 comments :: Ironman Arizona: The Best Part [Part 1]

Post a Comment