Post-Race Time; Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

One of my friends competed in Ironman way back in 1982 - well before the Ironman series became such a large commercial success, and raced with the Ironman legends (Dave Scott and others).  He warned me of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (in a lighthearted way, not to make light of the real Post Traumatic Stress Disorder affecting many of our nation's soldiers).  He jokingly tells me about dreams/'nightmares' he gets about the Ironman still.

Last night was my first one.  Details, as usual, are fuzzy now though I remember somehow losing both tires (along with the inner tubes) and wondering how I was going to get through the rest of the ride.  Many nonsensical scenarios in my dream, each of them making it difficult to finish.  The loss of the tires is probably related to my flat and other issues I ran into as a consequence of my early bike crash during Ironman Arizona.

But other than one dream, post-Ironman Arizona has been relatively stress-free.  Finally went to see a physical therapist for injuries sustained during an October bike spill while training.

Not only has my schedule been stress-free, but it's also been mostly exercise-free.  Other than a 9 minute high-intensity stair climb (up 50 flights of stairs) as a part of a benefit for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, I've done very little.  The itch is back to start swimming, riding and running again.  Weather has not been cooperating but that's a weak excuse.  It's time to get back on the horse again.

0 comments :: Post-Race Time; Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Post a Comment