Dispatch from Tempe: Cycle Test and Registration

Athlete wristband
Thursday, November 15.  Woke up late. No alarm, no work, just a leisurely day with a short to-do list.  Still ended up waking at 8am Arizona time. That's 7am normal people (California) time.

On the to-do list today was a quick bike ride.  Keep the legs loose, make sure the bike is in good mechanical condition, and also test out the carbon discs borrowed from my triathlon coach.  As Iron Sherpa commented, I was downright giddy with the speed I had on those discs.  Race strategy dictates keeping the heartrate at 130bpm or below for at least the first 2 loops (of three) in order to play it safe and make sure I have some gas left for the marathon coming up.  130bpm is pretty relaxed, yet I was able to maintain an 18-20mph ride. 


Second item on the to-do list was athlete check-in.  Easy and quick, with very helpful Ironman volunteers.  Two ladies that helped me check-in were super excitable, repeat Ironman participants, and became even more excited when I told them this was my first Ironman.  As the day inches closer, I'm definitely getting excited myself. 


Then it was rest and relaxation time.  An afternoon movie and a little shopping.  Looking forward to another easy day tomorrow!

0 comments :: Dispatch from Tempe: Cycle Test and Registration

Post a Comment