Dispatch from Tempe - Arrival on Location

Packed full and ready to roll.
Wednesday, November 13.  Arrived in Tempe, AZ.  Time to get acclimated to the area (again).  The trip in October was a course preview trip.  This time around, we (Iron Sherpa and I) are staying at the same hotel as last time, which is of some comfort.  Not only that, but the friendly fellow at the front desk remembered me and even gave me the same room.  First floor (for easy bicycle access), and facing the parking lot (for a quieter hotel room).  We're likely here a day or two earlier than most Ironman competitors.

Earlier in the week, I met with my coach to discuss final prep details as well as weekend strategy.  More on that in another post - but basically, don't push too hard in the beginning and remember this is an endurance race.

This morning was all prep work.  This is a five day trip, so there's a lot of clothes.  Not only that, but lots of food and gear as well.  My coach lent me a pair of carbon wheels, which I am to use if the conditions allow - meaning it's not too windy. 
Carbon wheels strapped in and ready to go!
Tonight is just a night to relax.  The circus starts tomorrow - I'm planning on getting checked in early and then taking it easy for the rest of the day.  There'll be a run to the supermarket for some fresh food and water, perhaps a trip to the local triathlon shop as well.

It's funny to arrive in Arizona and lose an hour since this state does not observe daylight savings.  I'm now an hour ahead of my friends in California.

Well.  This is it.  Only a few more days until the big day.

0 comments :: Dispatch from Tempe - Arrival on Location

Post a Comment