After Week 19

A great week! For a number of reasons.

1.  2400m swim completed on Wednesday with some discomfort on the shoulder, but nothing I would classify as pain.  This was followed by a 2 mile swim on Sunday morning in Oceanside (more on the weekend next).

2.  Beautiful weekend in Oceanside, where a few friends, Iron Sherpa and I participated in the Bike the Coast century tour.  I added a few miles to the end of the century ride as a part of training, but was definitely pretty exhausted at the end of the hundred miles.  A strong headwind for the last portion of the ride really didn't help matters either.  And then after that, I went on a 6 mile run which allowed me to run the pier. 

3.  Great long run (17.6 miles) without knee pains.  Pace was a few seconds per mile slower than other long runs, but that may be attributable to the pacing strategy for this run: nine minutes running then one minute walking.  I am expecting to do something similar at Ironman Arizona, since I plan to walk through each aid station.  This strategy works well for me, that minute of rest really helps keep me fresh and breaks up the run into manageable pieces with something to look forward to.

Running isn't so bad anymore.  Still my least favorite of the three disciplines, but I'm enjoying the quiet time the just my thoughts more and more.  There are even days that I look forward to the run.  Only wish there were more quieter, deserted areas to run like in Palm Desert, where all I can hear are my footsteps and breathing - no traffic sounds, no people sounds.  But I suppose we can't have it all.

Bike: 114.67 miles + 40 min on the trainer
Run: 23.83 miles
Swim: 5575 meters (3.46 miles)

Total Time: 14:40 hours

0 comments :: After Week 19

Post a Comment